Tuesday 17 April 2007

So, what's bugging me today?

Earlier on today, I went to Sunderland Civic Centre to sign some kind of forms for the Registrar of marriages. This is, obviously, because I'm getting married next year. For anyone reading this who knows me, they will also know that this is a big step for me. Not big as in deciding what car to buy big, but big as in Neil Armstrong walking on the Moon big.

None of this is relevant to what's bugging me. On the contrary, I'm actually quite happy about the whole marriage thing, oddly enough. No, what's really got to me today was what I saw on the way home.

Some people may be aware that there's some kind of elections going on soon. No, I don't know what for either, I only know they're happening because I got a form through the post - but as usual I shall submit my postal vote for the party or candidate that takes my fancy on the day.

I can, however, categorically state that no one remotely connected with Saint Tony Blair or the Labour Party of Perfect Britain will be the recipient of my hard earned vote. This is mainly because I consider Saint Tone to be a bit of an arrogant, ill-informed, pretentious, self-righteous, warmongering pillock, but also due to the fact that everyone associated with him I also consider to be arrogant, ill-informed, pretentious, self-righteous, warmongering pillocks.

Anyway, on the way home, I drove past a house with a large, proud billboard displayed outside proclaiming 'We Vote Labour'.

Great. Brilliant. I'm pleased for you, all of you, living in that house. What I can't quite get my head around, however, is just what would motivate someone to so publicly proclaim their undying devotion to a political party which has, over a period of ten years in government, so completely shafted our previously great nation.

I just don't get it. Surely no one can still be so blinkered as to believe any of the innumerable lies the British government tell us every day. This year the edited highlights include a budget which yet again disadvantages the hard working single, childless middle income earner whilst pandering to the dole-claiming, baby-machine underclass taking over our country and a propaganda victory for the Iranians - amongst other things.

I can only surmise that those who so proudly boast of their Labour votes are those who have always, and will always, vote Labour because their Dad, and Grandad before him voted Labour. Now, this is NOT a good reason for casting a vote in a certain direction. Far from it. What happened to freedom of opinion? Maybe some people just don't HAVE an opinion - and if they don't, WHY BOTHER VOTING? Let those of us who are intelligent enough to make our minds up vote for the candidates and parties we want, and let the sheep follow, as is their wont.

On a brighter note, yesterday morning I heard a Conservative party member proclaim on the BBC Radio 4 Today programme that the Conservatives will 'say no to a national road charging scheme'. Earlier on in 2007 nearly 1.7 million Britons signed an 'e-petition' declaring their opposition to Labour's 'Big Brother' vehicle tracking and charging plans.

Well, that's 1.7 million guaranteed Conservative votes next General Election then. Should be enough to oust the Labour government, with any luck. No one voted for Gordon Brown, did they?

If I'm the last one out, I promise I WILL turn out the lights. Click.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have NEVER voted for the Labour Party, never in my 46 years. And even if I live to be 146 or 1046 I shall NEVER vote for this thieving unscruplous dishonest manipulative self-serving craven bunch. They disgust me. I used to vote Tory but I'm so disillusioned with the lot of them, they all seem to say what they think people want them to say. I have no idea what the modern Tory party really stands for and to be honest I've lost interest as my disillusionment has increased. None of them has any idea what it's really like for 'hard working families' and frankly I detest the lot of them.

Wishing you ATB for the nuptials!!

GrumpyOldBlogger said...

Well, I think that says it all. Sadly, I have to agree with your sentiments - And thank you very much for the best wishes.