Tuesday 10 July 2007

I'm back!

OK, I apologise. If anyone out there in internet-land has been eagerly awaiting a new entry, I'm sorry. I've been slacking, badly, and it's been nearly three months since I posted.

I'm now approaching a quieter time at work, and so I'll probably have a lot more time to get irritated about stuff.

So what's happened since I last posted? Well, far too much to go into in any detail, but I've been on holiday in Scotland, which was as expected both wet and midge-ridden, although that didn't prevent me having a fantastic time.

I've had my 30th birthday, which as milestones go wasn't that remarkable - I honestly don't understand what all the fuss is about, but I did have a very nice day.

I've been measured up for my wedding outfit, which will consist of full formal Scottish Highland Dress. As an interesting point to note, wearing a kilt (or, possibly, a skirt, although about that I couldn't possibly comment) is a tremendously liberating experience for any man who hasn't tried it before. I won't go into any more detail than that.

I have had a payrise, although compared to the relentless march of inflation and interest rate rises in the UK, broadly speaking it's pretty much irrelevant.

We've had a new Prime Minister. I really wish I could think of something nice to say, but I can't, and my Mum always told me if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all... But who listens to their Mum at 30 years old, eh?

So, we have a new Prime Minister. Ably taking over the role of steering our once great nation into international disrepute and economic decline, the Great Apostle Gordon Brown was ushered into office, unelected by all and unwanted by many, at the end of June.

First job on the agenda was to assemble a rag-tag band of little known, largely illiterate and staunchly fawning brown nosed Labour ministers to form Gordon's first Cupboard. Or Cabinet, or something - but definitely NOT a sofa.

Gordon Brown doesn't like sofa-style Governments, oh no. Instead, he's built a sort of Ikea government for us, if you will. Flat packed, unattractively packaged and likely to fall apart at the slightest provocation, the various bits which were missing will no doubt resurface at some point in the future, most likely about five minutes after they were necessary to avert a disastrous break-up of the furniture they should have held together.

He'll probably find them down the back of the sofa.

There you go look, now I've made myself miserable. I doubt it'll be another three months until I see you again!

No comments: